Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Summer of the Beautiful Warm Socks

It's cold here! Why is it so cold? Much woolen sock wearing in the house at the moment, but some good work happening too I think.

I found this in my research.. she looks rather unhappy for someone on the back of an elephant. Cheer up, madam!
(Mildred Hart Shaw, journalist & Junior Great Books mentor, 1965)

...and my apologies to William Saroyan. I suddenly had a Junior Great Books moment, which made me think of "The Scarlet Ibis". Thanks to James Hurst I can't look at ibises in the zoo without picturing Doodle's little broken body. There was another story, about a boy who wishes his father dead and eats his cold cigar ash while sitting in his leather armchair. I wonder what it was called..?

2 comments:

Crista Noel Smith said...

and this story broke my heart as a child.

Joel Stewart said...

Oh...
My friend Maija once sent me that story, and then warned me not to read it...

I went ahead anyway.