Monday, June 25, 2007

back from Bohemia

I have returned from Prague, land of exceedingly cheap cappuccinos, cascading mullets, men sporting tiny dogs in handbags, and lots and lots of sausage:



My hotel had its own two-lane black lit bowling alley in the basement and a traditional pizza oven, which meant that you could expect to be covered in a fine rain of ash every time you ventured into the courtyard. The toilet seats were as robust as m&m candy shells, and I could hear the people downstairs through the drain in my sink. This helpful sign explained the hotel's escape plan:



Thankfully, the escapist way was not required during my stay.


I learned this week that cobblestones can be as hard on the ankles as skiing. Witness the wonder that was my very swollen foot:


(excuse the poor quality of the video, as parties involved were slightly tipsy at the time)

To further test my kickers, I wandered around the Old Jewish Cemetery, Old Town Square, Charles Bridge, Prague Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral. I saw some wondrous bric-a-brac shops in the Jewish Quarter (which were a bit like my grandparents' attic), a street orchestra playing 20s jazz, tiny frogs and abandoned houses in the rainy woods on Petrin Hill, nuns on holiday (one of my favorite things), and some very strange black light theatre. Oh, and I found some odd and lovely children's books by František Skála.

More from my travels (click on images for larger view):


Memento mori on the Charles Bridge


Young King Wenceslas and his grandmother, looking a bit like Maurice Sendak drawings






a kindly bear


a very cranky cherub


St. Sigmund being thrown down a well


Zombies, obviously


in case of H, break glass


from the Toy Museum


Existential musings in the Prague airport ladies room


Views from the top of St. Vitus Cathedral







No comments: