Friday, October 19, 2007

Breast Cancer 3-Day part deux



I wrote a little while ago about my sisters, mother and aunt taking part in the Breast Cancer 3-Day, a 60 mile walk to raise money for cancer research and breast cancer screening and outreach programs for underprivileged women. Visit Brie, Ashley, Jeanette or Susan's fundraising pages to read personal statements about why they are walking, see their fundraising progress, and make a donation. The following is from my sister Brie's fundraising page:

"Preparing for this challenge, I think of all the people I care about who have been touched by this disease. My Aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer nearly five years ago. She is a survivor. She has served as the main source of my breast cancer education, teaching me to be smart. I am walking in her honor.

A very close family friend was diagnosed with breast cancer a little over a year ago, unfortunately losing her battle this past July. She was one of the most caring and compassionate women I have ever known. Even in the face of her fight, she focused her attention on those around her and offered support for the struggles in their life. Her strength was truly amazing. I am walking in her honor.

Watching my mom support each of these women through their struggles was both challenging and encouraging. It is important for me to now support her, walking together, actively towards a cure.

You may know someone who has been affected by breast cancer and I would be proud to walk in her honor as well.

Thank you for your support!"


They are calling themselves the Fancy Pink Swans in honor of our friend Vickie Cowell who passed away earlier this year. For those of you who didn't know Vickie, these are what she called fancy pink swans:



I know any donations would be greatly appreciated, but if you'd like some more bang for your buck (or pound, or euro) my sister is selling handmade bags:



She says she is currently taking requests. All proceeds will be donated. More info here, or email me at: info (at) cristanoelsmith dot com.

No comments: