Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Books and Black Holes

Lincoln had his melancholia, Churchill had his black dog, and I occasionally fall into black holes. Sometimes I can be in one for quite some time before I realize I have to dig myself out. It helps to remember things I like; in the past I have used this as a place to share things that make me happy, but I've gotten out of practice. So, it seems a good time for spring cleaning, both here and in my head.

Books are some of my most favorite things, and I was lucky enough to recently find a copy of the first American edition of Michael Ende's The Neverending Story. I first read it as a teenager, but the copy I borrowed from the library was printed in black ink with no illustrations. My beautiful new (old) copy has text printed in the proper red and green with 26 illustrations by Roswitha Quadflieg illuminating the chapter heads, one for each letter of the alphabet.

Here are some images from the book... more pictures, including Roswitha Quadflieg's full alphabet can be found here.







If you've never read The Neverending Story run out and get a copy; even if it's a paperback in black and white you won't be disappointed. If you're able to read it in the original German then lucky you!

..and if you're still reading this after all this time, or still checking in, hello again.

7 comments:

brie aku sefakor said...

hello, hello!

I quite like the 3-column. it moves things up and highlights your etsy work well. nice parallel across the page. :)

Brilig said...

Like the new layout. I love books but tend to spend more time admiring them on the shelf than actually reading.

Rima Staines said...

Hello Christa... I know how horrible those black spells can be.. it's lovely to see you back here. And what illustrations those are! thanks for the intro :)
I definately think a blog should be like a cooking pot of lovely things that reflect back to you what you love best and make you happy :)
Hugs from the house on wheels
Rima

Likuid said...

Great times!

Lady San Pedro said...

I WANT A COPY!

This is one absolutely charming blog!

Crista Noel Smith said...

Thank you very much! Copies are pretty easy to find on the internet, just do a little research into the edition as not all copies have the illustrations or the two-tone printing.

ChaseLandon said...

hello! could you do me a big favor and send me a link that has all the chapter shots up? I think you have one on there but it doesn't seem to be working. Thank you so much and those 3 shots are wonderful :)