Sunday, September 23, 2007

An Acceptable Time



With all the busyness and coming and going of visitors I didn't know that Madeleine L'Engle passed away earlier this month. Her Time Quintet books were very important to me as a child, and were part of the reason I became interested in philosophy and physics (which have been very important to me as well). This Newsweek interview with her from 2006 makes me smile.. and an NPR interview from 1998. She was a fiercely intelligent and talented woman, and it's a shame her books aren't more widely read now. She and Zilpha Keatley Snyder and E.L.Konigsburg should be on every school's reading list.

Madeleine L'Engle
Tasha Tudor

I've been asked a lot recently if I mind getting older (I have a milestone birthday approaching), but when I look at women like L'Engle and Tasha Tudor, who is 92 and lives her life in a strikingly original way, I can't really feel trepidation at aging. There are, and have been, so many amazing women in my family as well. I think it is an honor to live enough for your life to show on your face, and to be able to keep learning things and doing what you love.

No comments: