Tuesday, July 17, 2007

shadows

Very many sad and difficult and awful things in the last few weeks.. I am trying to remember what is good.

I first saw some of Lotte Reiniger's animated silhouette films a few years ago. The movement she managed with flat cutouts is more elegant than that of much three dimensional puppetry.

The Little Chimney Sweep:

The BFI has more of her short films and clips available to download.

This was created using black paper and a light table by Edward De Leon:

It's rough, but gives a bit of hope for simple animation in the face of masses of rubbish.

And digitally animated but still roughly in the spirit of traditional silhouette films, The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello.

5 comments:

Joel Stewart said...

I saw some of Lotte's original cutouts in the puppet museum in munich earlier this year...

brie aku sefakor said...

If you posted at 3.22AM, and I'm reading it at 1.03AM, please tell me that means the internet exists outside of space and time.

if only i could jump outside and think only of a completed drawing set... and a cure for the next descoladores, of course.

brie aku sefakor said...

a little forgiveness, please.
my previous comment doesn't totally make sense.
how i would love if i really did gain two hours and was not still sitting here sadly wrapping up. :)

Nick Campbell said...

I think they're showing Prince Achmed at the NFT this year. They certainly have a lot of Achmed fun in the BFI shop, like a flipbook and an articulated fridge magnet. Best if you have a midnight blue fridge, I suspect.

Crista Noel Smith said...

Just realized I had typed "shimney sweep." I suppose it was 3:30 in the morning.. If only my brain worked properly in the small insomniac hours I would be unstoppably productive.